How to get HealthMeasures scores on their proper metric
You can get a HealthMeasure score in three ways:
- Use a data collection tool that automatically calculates scores
- Use the FREE HealthMeasures Scoring Service, powered by Assessment CenterSM to score PROMIS®, ASCQ-MeSM, Neuro-QoL, and NIH Toolbox Emotion measures
- Score by hand using a Scoring Manual for self-report and proxy-report short forms
TIP: It is preferable to use the HealthMeasures Scoring Service or a HealthMeasures data collection tool that calculates scores. These use the most accurate scoring method as each response to every item is used to calculate a person’s score. Scoring Manuals are a good second option for self- and proxy-report measures. They convert the raw sum on a measure to a final T-score.
TIP: All NIH Toolbox® performance tests of cognition, sensation, and motor function can only be scored by utilizing the NIH Toolbox or PROMIS iPad app for data collection. No hand scoring is possible.
The HealthMeasures Scoring Service
The HealthMeasures Scoring Service is a free, web-based application that scores an Excel file of raw participant responses and returns by email a file with calculated T-scores for all measures.
The HealthMeasures Scoring Service is especially useful when:
- You administered a short form, but not all participants answered every question
- Different groups of participants responded to different items
- You have created a new questionnaire using a subset of questions from one of the HealthMeasures (e.g., PROMIS®) item banks
TIP: All HealthMeasures included in many data collection tools (e.g., Assessment CenterSM, NIH Toolbox iPad App®, REDCap, Epic, API) are automatically scored.
How to use the HealthMeasures Scoring Service, powered by Assessment Center
- Download the Input Template
- Add your data (all respondents’ individual answers to questions) for one HealthMeasure to the template (multiple timepoints are okay)
- Upload your spreadsheet to the HealthMeasures Scoring Service (if this is your first time, register as a new user)
- Access your email to receive a spreadsheet with calculated scores
For information about using the HealthMeasures Scoring Service for PROMIS Profiles, Global, or Psychosocial Illness Impact, watch this tutorial.
NIH Toolbox measures are automatically scored when administered in the NIH Toolbox iPad app. The Scoring and Interpretation Guide for NIH Toolbox provides more information about available scores and their uses.
To score individual NIH Toolbox Emotion measures when automatic scoring is unavailable, use the Scoring Instructions for NIH Toolbox Emotion Measures.